Tuesday, March 25, 2014

It's About Time



Lick and Lather Video Response:

Janine Antoni's work was very interesting - not only to see her work as an independent viewer, but to also listen to her explain her thought process and just how meaningful each object was to her. I felt very attached to her rope/umbilical cord piece because she combined so many personal things into it. I don't know if I could've made a piece similar because of the intimacy involved.
Her other pieces really demonstrate how much she puts herself into her art. When describing her process through her piece "2038" with the drinking cow, I really caught on to her words when she said, "biological machine." It really made me think about art not just as something to look at, but something to be a part of and to understand in different ways. Instead of looking at it as a piece of art in a creative way, I started thinking about science and biology - it was so much closer to nature then I ever could have imagined.
______________________________________________________________________________



I chose an owl figure for the project. I carved 2 figurines out of bars of olive oil and rose soap. The first carving I did of the owl turned out to be the best and have the best proportions.









For the transformations, I started by putting the sculpture in the oven at 350 degrees. I didn't see much of a change so I turned it to 450 degrees. 


I then added granulated sugar and stuck it back in the oven. (Addition)


I then added pink gel food coloring for a second change.  (Addition)

I then added corn syrup for texture and put it back in the oven. (Addition)
I then used a big shoe and pressed it down to further flatten it and give it some marks.

 Afterwards, I rinsed as much coloring off if it as I could. (Subtraction)


 I then decided to wash a dirty pan with the soap so it lost some of it's mass and got soapy. (Subtraction)

I then crumbled it up into small pieces to change the form. It was really sticky from the sugar.


I then went outside and scooped a piece of dirt and molded it into it a sphere with the remaining pieces of soap. (Addition)


I rinsed some loose dirt off with water. (Subtraction)
I then used a thick wire to wrap around the sphere and hung it from the ceiling. 


Finished product:

I am pretty happy with the final product. It went through enough changes that it completely transformed. The ball of soap and dirt became this beautiful textured object with so much dimension. The wire really helped me present it better and gave it more dimension. The wire helped give the ball more line and direction too. 

Final Changes:

Addition (5) --> granulated sugar, corn syrup, gel food coloring, dirt, sculpting wire

Subtraction (4) --> rinsed away food coloring, rinsed away dirt, washed pans (lost lots of mass), took away crumbled pieces













No comments:

Post a Comment