Thursday, February 20, 2014

Masking Tape Shoes

Touch, A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman




What a challenging project! I knew I needed to start with a firm base for the shoe, so I put layers of tape on top of each other for the soles. I then crunched up tape for a bouncy/rubbery feel and covered it with another layer. For the first shoe, I then made the thick, outside that wraps around the exterior. I noticed that this lessened the sturdiness and smoothness. I didn't like it! 

In-progress photos:



For the second shoe, I completed the sole and then went on to the fabric that encases the actual foot. I then tacked on the white, textured outside.
The final product is better than the first try, but still not sturdy enough. It isn't smooth either. For me, placing the tongue of the shoe was most difficult for some reason. I hope I never have to do this again but it has definitely been a very popular subject for my friends and family after showing them what I ended up with!





No comments:

Post a Comment